Measurements in Chemistry - Demo
The following is a sampling of questions from our Measurements in Chemistry testbank.
A student put her hand into an aluminum pot filled with water. To her surprise she received a "jolt" of electricity. She quickly removed her hand. After studying the situation she concluded that the water was behaving like
- dissociates into ions when dissolved in water.
- forms non - molecular compounds in solutions.
- acts as a solvent in the presence of ionic crystals.
- remains in molecular form when dissolved in water.
Which solution required the most mass to form?
- a caustic solution
- a boiling solution
- an electrolyte
- an acid
Household ammonia would be considered
- 250 mL of 16.4 mol/L MgCl2(aq)
- 400 mL of 12.3 mol/L CdSO4(aq)
- 425 mL of 13.2 mol/L CoClO4(aq)
- 350 mL of 9.25 mol/L Pb(CN)2(aq)
A car piston at low pressure runs at 130 kPa. If the volume of the piston chamber changes from 0.555 L to 0.135 L, it will create a pressure of
- a base with a pH = 2
- an acid with a pH = 2
- a base with a pH = 11
- an acid with a pH = 11
A high pressure cell over the prairies reached 103.4 kPa. The temperature hit a high of 39.6ÉC. What volume would 6.25 mol of gas occupy under these conditions?
- 31.6 kPa
- 534 kPa
- 636 kPa
- 1735 kPa
What is the concentration of sodium chloride left over after 30.0 mL of 0.250 mol/L HCl,(aq) completely reacts with 300 mL of 0.250 mol/L NaOH(aq)?
- 4.02 L
- 19.9 L
- 157 L
- 264 L
10.2 g of cesium metal dropped into a beaker of water will release how many L of H2(g) at STP?
- 14.6 mol/L
- 7.31 mol/L
- 0.250 mol/L
- 0.125 mol/L
"When two chemical compounds are mixed and a reaction occurs" is the basis for the assumption that a reaction is
- 0.860 L
- 0.952 L
- 1.72 L
- 3.44 L
Use the following information to answer questions #60 - 62.
20.0 mL of HBr(aq) was titrated with 0.845 mol/L Ca(OH)2(aq). Bromothymol blue indicator was added to the HBr(aq).
The colour of the solution at the equivalence point is
Automobile exhaust contains NO(g) that becomes oxidized into NO2(g), an intermediate step that can lead to ozone depletion of the atmosphere. The formula is
2 NO(g) + O2(g) ---> 2 NO2(g)
If we had 15.0 L of NO(g) and 10.0 L of O2(g) at SATP, the limiting species will be
A student needed to determine the amount of sodium chloride present in a solution. The simplest technique for determining the mass of sodium chloride present in the solution would be
- NO2(g) and O2(g)
- NO(g) and NO2(g)
An example of a compound that shares electrons to form a chemical bond is
The polar compound correctly identified by its shape is
HF(aq) has all the following intermolecular bonds except
- CH3I(g), linear
- H2S(g), V - shaped
- CO2(g), trigonal planar
- C2H6Cl2(g), tetrahedral
In the equation
- ionic bonding
- hydrogen bonding
- dipole to dipole bonding
- London dispersion forces
3 Ni2+(aq) + 2 Al(s) ---> 3 Ni(s) + 2 Al3+(aq)
the total number of electrons exchanged is
Covalent bonding is displayed by
The balanced equation for the reaction between Cu2+(aq) and OH-(aq) is
Calcium hydroxide forms
- Cu2+(aq) + 2 OH-(aq) ---> 2 Cu(OH)(s)
- Cu2+(aq) + 2 OH-(aq) ---> CuO(s) + H2O(l)
- Cu2+(aq) + 2 OH-(aq) ---> Cu(s) + O2(g) + H2(g)
- 2 Cu2+(aq) + 4 OH-(aq) ---> 2 Cu(s) + O2(g) + 2 H2O(l)
A compound with a triangular shape and the general formula C3H6 would be
- an ionic bond by sharing 2 electrons
- a covalent bond by sharing 2 electrons
- an ionic bond by transferring 2 electrons
- a covalent bond by transferring 2 electrons
- a cycloalkene
- a cycloalkane
- an aromatic
- an alkene
is properly named
Structural isomers of organic compounds would have
- different molecular and structural formulas
- similar chemical properties and react in the same manner
- the same molecular formula but different structural formulas
- to be highly volatile because they are made up of long carbon chains
The compound would be classified as
The structural diagram representing 2,3 - dichloro pentane is
- a halogenated hydrocarbon
- an organic amide
- an aldehyde
- an ester
Use the following information to answer questions # 65 - 69.
Which equation represents an addition reaction?
- C3H6(g) + H2(g) ---> C3H8(g)
- 2 C3H6(g) + 9 O2(g) ---> 6 CO2(g) + 6 H2O(l)
- C2H6(g) + Cl2(g) ---> CH3CH2Cl(g) + HCl(aq)
- C3H7OH(l) ---> CH2CHCH3(l) + H2O(l)
- CH3OH(l) + HCOOH(l) ---> CH3OCHO(l) + H2O(l)
The esterification reaction is
Previous File .... Main List .... Next File
Last modified: April 14, 1999