Biology 30 - Demo
The following is a sampling of questions from our Biology 30 testbank.
(Each science question is coded according to program of studies objective, skill required and question for that particular objective. ie. bi1.k.15 [bi1 --- Major concept 1: Unit 1: Biology 30 Program of Studies] --- [k --- Knowledge --- 15] 1st knowledge objective 5th question for the objective
Birds and bees see objects through infrared sensations, dogs visualize objects in shades of gray, and humans are capable of seeing objects in 3 - dimensions and colour. The region of the brain that is stimulated in each of these organisms is the
Humans can feel pain, pressure, touch, and texture. They become aware of these sensations through stimulation of the
- frontal lobe
- parietal lobe
- occipital lobe
- temporal lobe
- sensory neurons
- motor neurons
- vagus neurons
Use the following diagram to answer questions # 21 - 24.
The structure responsible for regenerating a damaged interneuron is labelled
Interneuron transmission occurs from
- A to B
- C to D
- D to B
- D to C
Use the following information to answer questions # 72 - 73.
The increased sugar levels cause
At step C the reaction of the liver will be to
- the pancreas to release glucagon
- the liver to convert glycogen
- a negative feedback to occur
- insulin to be released
- release insulin into the bloodstream
- remove excess glucose by releasing glucagon
- negate the effects of eating the high sugar meal
- cause body cells to become impermeable to glucose
The passage of eggs down the oviduct may become hampered or impossible due to the malady of a sexually transmitted disease. Some STD's if left untreated cause massive scarring within the fallopian tubes. The tubes end up completely blocked. Which STD can cause blocked fallopian tubes?
Use the following diagram to answer questions # 37 - 41.
The diagram represents the
Which letter represents the corpus luteum?
- prostate gland
Implantation of the fertilized egg takes place during the cleavage phase called
The release of relaxin, the increase of oxytocin levels, and the decrease of estrogen and progesterone levels denote the advancing stage of
- child birth
Use the following diagram to answer questions # 6 - 7.
When chromosomes line up in this fashion inside the cell we say the cell is undergoing the stage of
The pairing of similar chromosomes is called
- prophase I in meiosis
- anaphase I in meiosis
- prophase in mitosis
- anaphase in mitosis
- crossing over
Use the following information to answer questions # 70 - 71.
The genotype of the black, long haired female guinea pig is
In order to study the effects of alleles within the human population, a researcher would require which statement as a step in the research?
A scientist tried unsuccessfully to breed the pink colour out of a strain of snapdragons she was working with. Each time one of her white and red plants cross-pollinated she would receive pink flowers. What was the problem he was facing?
- reading about the various types of nucleotides
- separating the living from the dead organisms
- collecting personal data from human sources
- taking the temperature of the test subjects
In Labrador retrievers black coat colour is dominant to yellow coat colour and large paws are dominant to small paws. Which ratio of crosses would not be possible for producing black, large pawed pups if a large pawed, black Labrador was mated with a large pawed, yellow Labrador?
- Snapdragons are an inferior type of plant to selective breed.
- Colour in snapdragons is due to intermediate inheritance.
- Pink colouration is a result of codominance.
- The snapdragons are pink dominant plants.
An E. coli bacterium that has a section of DNA from a human pancreas cell spliced into its sequence will
A mutation in the gene for hemoglobin allows the red blood cell to sickle. People in a heterozygous condition for sickle cell shape were deemed to have a better chance of surviving a malaria outbreak. The principle involved is called
- produce insulin along with its own proteins
- die due to the change in its DNA structure
- continue its own natural functions
- produce only insulin
In nicotiana, red flower colour is under incomplete dominance with white flower colour. If 38 out of 100 plants were red flowered, what is the allele frequency for pink flowers?
- gene migration
- random genetic drift
- differential reproduction
- the Hardy-Weinberg principle
Spanish people are generally dark haired and brown eyed. Occasionally a Spanish person may be born with brown hair and blue eyes. This can be explained by
The lengthy process of soil formation would not be necessary if the succession pattern started
- a gene mutation in the sperm
- the expression of a recessive combination of genes
- a chromosomal mutation in the ovaries of the mother
- the expression of the dominant gene in a heterozygous union
Microclimates within the pioneer community help to
- on a lava flow
- with a mountain lake
- in an area destroyed by fire
- with an uplifting of the earth's mantle
- lower temperature and increase decay
- lower evaporation and decrease fertility
- increase temperature and increase decay
- increase temperature and lower evaporation
Use the following information to answer questions # 70 - 74.
In 1920 a freshwater pond in the Alberta Rockies was studied. Inside the pond were trout, snails and water bugs. In 1940 the same pond was found with trout, snails, frogs, grasses and rushes along the edges. In 1960 the same pond was found to have trout, snails, frogs, abundant aquatic vegetation, grasses, willows, and small poplars. In 1980 the same pond had been covered over. In its place were poplar trees and the odd pine and larch tree. Deer and bear markings were noticeable. Squirrels were heard in the treetops along with several songbirds.
The pioneer community included
Seral communities were described in the years
- squirrels and pine trees
- snails and water bugs
- grasses and trout
- poplar and trout
- 1920 and 1940
- 1940 and 1960
- 1920 and 1980
- 1940 And 1980
Previous File .... Main List .... Next File
Last modified: April 14, 1999